A few months ago, I stumbled across a blog post that talked about Turbo Fire, and it just sort of tucked itself away in my brain. It looked like fun, sure, but it also looked a little bit insane. There was just no way I could workout that hard.
I’ve been looking for a workout I could love and stay consistent with for what feels like forever.
I like running, but only outside and only first thing in the morning…which doesn’t always work with my schedule or the weather. I like the elliptical…for about two days and then I’m bored out of my mind. I’ve tried different workout DVD’s…for years…and I last about a week before I’m itching for something new.
I still don’t know what made me order Turbo Fire a few weeks ago. I’d been starting to look for a DVD series that I could do here at home, knowing that school would be starting up again soon. One of my summer goals was to get into a sustainable workout routine that would survive the kids – and me – going back to school. I searched online, found Turbo Fire again, did some more research and one night in June finally pushed submit on my order.
And I love it. I do have a few difficulties – my inability to do roundhouse kicks, trying to navigate a high impact workout with sneakers and carpet (just call me Agador Spartacus), on occassion I do in fact punch myself in the face – but I wake up every morning excited about working out.
5 reasons why I’m in love with Turbo Fire:
- Once my order was processed, I was sent a link to a video online of the Fire Starter (beginner’s) workout. The DVD’s shipped quickly – in less than a week – but I was able to get started learning the moves and getting a solid workout immediately.
- 14 workouts on 10 DVD’s means I’m not getting bored. Other than the days I did the Fire Starter workout, every day of the week is different which means I’m staying engaged and my muscles are getting nice and confused. Some days, it’s a long cardio workout…others it’s a 20 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and others focus on sculpting or deep stretching. The DVD set came with a class schedule, and I’m following it explicitly…even when I don’t want to. I’m sure I’ll deviate at some point, but I’m committed for at least 12 weeks to do exactly what it tells me to.
- I like the trainer, Chalene Johnson. Actually, I really like the trainer – she’s upbeat, does every single move with you and is encouraging. I feel like I’m working out with friends, and if she says to kick two inches higher…well, I kick two inches higher. After three weeks of workouts, I still think she’s someone I’d like to hang out with.
- I do the Stretch 10 class, almost every day. It’s helping my flexibility but I think more importantly, it’s kept me from having lingering muscle pain and stiffness. Unlike other DVD’s that leave me unable to walk the day afterwards (coughcough30dayshredcoughcough), I’m working out harder than I ever have before and can do it again easily the next day.
- I’m seeing results. In the first two weeks, I was down nearly 4 inches. More importantly, I’m improving. Yoga poses are getting easier, my punches are getting faster and my flexibility is pretty impressive. Every day I feel stronger.
And I don’t feel quite like dying at the end of workout anymore.
What’s your favorite workout right now?
Just a note: I’m not affiliated with Beachbody or Turbo Fire in any way – just a fan.